My Account:  Log In

0 item(s) in cart/ total: $0  view cart
Home > Our History
 

Our History

Established in May of 1921, in the small town of Brigham City, Utah, the Idle Isle first opened as an ice cream and candy store.


Original founders, Percy and Verabel Knudson, invited Vera's brother and his wife, David and LaRita Call, to join them in a partnership that successfully added homemade soups and sandwiches to the offerings of the store.  The business then evolved into a full service restaurant which operated in conjunction with the candy operation.  The Knudsons focused on the restaurant side of the business while the Calls focused on the candy and ice cream side.

Mr. Call developed some 40+ candy recipes that were to be the backbone of the success of Idle Isle Candy Company.  LaRita and Verabel were integral to the hand-dipping and production of the chocolates.

In 1994, after some 25 years of working with both the Knudsons and the Calls, and having previously purchased their interests in the business, current owners, Richard VanDyke, a grandson of the Knudsons, and his wife, Shari, sold the restaurant and dedicated full time efforts to expand and develop the candy business.

In 2004 a new building was purchased and remodeled to facilitate expansion of both the sales and production areas of the business.  Located just across the street from the Cafe, the new candy store has the outside look, and the inside feel, of a 1920's candy store.
Many of the unique creations and offerings of the old-time Idle Isle, which had been discontinued, are now back on the shelves, as well as new products not often found today.

                 
Original Idle Isle Jams                             Old-Fashioned Fudge

                 
Delicious Sugar-Free Chocolates                Old-Fashioned Nut Brittles


Idle Isle Candy
41 South Main
Brigham City, UT 84302
435-723-8003

salestaff@idleisle.com

Hours:
Mon-Sat 10am-7pm (Mountain)

Thanks for shopping with us!